Kalendarz imprez
The Town of Swidnica

Historic Monuments in Świdnica



Przejdź na stronę wieza.swidnica.plFor centuries the Town Hall was a symbol of magnificence and honorable traditions of Świdnica. First mention of the Town Hall Tower appeared in 1393, when as a result of fire of the town, the tower burnt down together with "the gold-plated roof" and " the clock which could not be found in another country." Over the next centuries,
it underwent natural disasters (mainly fire) and wars, however each time, sooner or later it was rebuilt. Last reconstruction, as a result of which, the tower received its most recognizable shape, was made after the Seven Years' War (the tower was damaged by cannon fire) and finished in 1767. The builders of the tower patterned it after the cathedral 's tower reducing its size by half. Most of works were carried out by hand without the use
of a crane or heavy equipment. In this form the town tower had graced Świdnica's Market Square for the next 200 years, up to 5th January 1967, when after striking 15:15, it slid down to the adjoining buildings.


World War II did not bring any damages to Mid-Market block and the tower remained basically unchanged. It was only as a result of negligently performed demolition works of tenement houses adjoining to the tower which weakened its structure, and finally the building began to lose its stability. On 5th January 1967 at 15.15 the bell struck a quarter for the last time and few dozen seconds later, torn alongside its vertical axis, the tower partially collapsed on the passage of the theatre, the Town Hall building and warehouses of County Union of District Cooperatives "Peasants' Self-Help." (Powiatowy Związek Gminnych Spółdzielni "Samopomoc Chłopska"). The mighty roar shook almost the whole town, and the wave of dirt and dust spread through the Market Square and adjoining streets. Fortunately, no one was killed in the catastrophe, and the only fatality was a cat belonging to one of the residents of nearby buildings. Almost immediately an investigation process was started, although the fact of scandalous incompetence in carrying out construction works at Wewnętrzna Street was attempted to be concealed. Świdnica lost its symbol and dominant for nearly 45 years.


Measures aimed at the reconstruction of the Town Hall Tower were taken from the '70s, there were even shares printed for rebuilding the tower and donations collected in special money-boxes situated in the town. In the mid- '90s there was also prepared a reconstruction project but due to the high costs it was never implemented. Another chance to rebuild the town hall tower appeared due to the possibility to benefit from European funds for revitalization of damaged urban space. In connection with this documentary and design works were carried out very quickly and afterwards the contractor was selected and rebuilding started. The main construction works were carried out from June 2010 to June 2012. Whereas until November 2012 external and internal finishing works were carried out, because by the way, the courtyard of the Mid-Market block was completely revitalized. Finally, after 45 years, in 2012, Świdnica's old town regained its symbol.

Since 17th November 2012, the Town Hall Tower again enjoys residents of Świdnica and tourists' eyes, being the symbol of splendour of the town and an excellent vantage point of the area surrounding the town (if the weather is favourable, a careful observer will perceive the tallest building in Poland - SKY TOWER in Wrocław and the highest peak of Karkonosze which is Śnieżka). The building of a new Town Hall Tower is 58 meters high and it has 10 floors. The highest point of the tower accessible to the public is an external observation deck located at the height of 38 meters. The tower is also equipped with multimedia touch panels, which not only bring the history of the object closer but also allow you to send electronic greetings from Świdnica. The object is adorned by the clock, the exterior elements of which were patterned after their original appearance from before the collapse of the tower. The new tower is surmounted with a dome and a spire with a distinctive sphere in which inhabitants of Świdnica placed reminders, including scanned photographs of different items, historical documents, coins and photos of Świdnica's residents, that will introduce present-day Świdnica to future generations.
The Town Hall Tower is also a place where numerous cultural events and exhibitions take place. Admission to the tower is free of charge. Professional and friendly staff will cause that the stay on the tower goes in a pleasant atmosphere.

Otwarcie wieży ratuszowej



Monday - Sunday: 10.00 - 20.00

Monday - Sunday: 10.00 - 18.00



ul. Wewnętrzna 4
(Market Square)
58-100 Świdnica
phone no. +48 74 8520290
e-mail: wieza@ks-j.pl


ul. Wewnętrzna 2 (Market Square)
58-100 Świdnica
phone no. +48 74 852 02 90
mobile: +48 790 33 88 55
e-mail: it@um.swidnica.pl





Church of PeaceIt is the most precious monument of Protestant sacral art of the Silesia region regarded as the largest wooden church in Europe. It has been entered into the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List. Its original Baroque interior is considered to be the only deviation from typical strict Protestant canon. The particular attention should be focused on Baroque decorative elements of high altar, pulpit, large and small organs, not to mention lodges which encircle the temple inside.
Evangelical Holy Trinity Church of Peace is one of the well-known monuments of the town. Its origin is highly connected with the Thirty-Years' War.
As a result of the so-called Peace of Westphalia the Protestants from Świdnica were granted the permission to erect a temple using instable materials (including wood, clay and straw), without the bell-tower, beyond the limits of city walls. The church was erected in the main shape in 1652 – 1657 according to the design of artillery lieutenant Albrecht Saebisch. It used interlocking construction on the plan of the Greek cross and the application of two storeys of empores was used in order to hold 7500 worshippers. The completion of church decoration and ecclesiastical equipment lasted several dozen of years. Church of PeaceThe church interior is single-naved and covered with flat wooden ceiling richly decorated with polychrome work. The lodges piled up between empores are polichromed and additionally decorated with sculptures. The entire decoration represents the Baroque style.
The pulpit and  high altar are of great significance and make the major impression; both are produced by the Świdnica artist - August Hoffmann. The above-mentioned works, representing mature fancy Baroque, are ranked extremely high in terms of art.
The Church of Peace is equipped with two groups of organs. The large organs were formed in line with the church erection. They are placed in the chorus, on the first storey. They were built in 1666 – 1669 by Gotfryd Klose from Brzeg. The second instrument, located on the highest storey above the altar, was built in 1695. They are both distinguished by beautiful sound.
The baptism room adheres to the main south nave. It is equipped with impressive Baroque baptismal font. The particular attention should also be focused on the portrait gallery of successive pastors. 
The Church of Peace comprises utilitarian buildings which are regarded as high architectural value buildings nowadays. At the very beginning of the 18th century the bell-tower and school were formed. In the adjacent cemetery there can be found remains of a great number of remarkable citizens of Świdnica.
The building was entered into the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage List in 2001.

Further information is available on: www.kosciolpokoju.pl
Address: Pokoju Square 6,
open for visitors: from April to October Monday – Saturday 9 am-1 pm, 3 pm-5 pm, Sunday 3 pm-6 pm
from November till the end of March – telephone booking (074) 852-28-14 (for groups over 5 people)
price of tickets: regular - 10 zł, reduced 5 zł



THE CATHEDRAL OF ST. STANISLAUS AND ST. WENCESLAUSIt is a Gothic cathedral with the highest tower in the Silesia region and the fifth in Poland in terms of height. The Baroque interior originated at the turn of the 17th and 18th century. The most significant decorative elements are: the altar of the Falling Asleep of the BVM in the form of pentaptic of 1492, the Choir of the Marian Brotherhood referred to as the Choir of Townspeople of 1468, having rich late Gothic ornaments as well as high altar of 1694 which is based on the altar of Paris church Val De Grace.
The foundation stone was probably laid by Duke of Świdnica Bolko II Mały in 1330. In 1353 the presbytery was finished and in 1385 – the main nave. Simultaneously the church was surrounded by chapels founded by various guilds and the wealthiest townspeople. Since the very beginning of the 15th century the erection of towers took place. Initially two towers were planned to be erected; only the south tower was erected which was completed in 1525.
In 1532 a great fire broke out as a result of which roofs and ecclesiastical equipment were consumed, not to mention the fact that the tower, roof of the main nave and facade collapsed. The new roof was built in 1535. Thirty years later the tower that was reconstructed was covered with copper sheet helmet. It reached 103 m.
THE CATHEDRAL OF ST. STANISLAUS AND ST. WENCESLAUSIn 1644 the Jesuits took charge of the church. They proceeded to reform the Baroque interior simultaneously liquidating former Gothic ecclesiastical equipment. The prevailing part of the interior decoration is ascribed to Jan Riedel. His masterpiece is the high altar completed in 1694. The side altars are produced by Jan Riedel and his cooperators.
Another remarkable author, whose works embellish the interior of cathedral, was Jerzy Leonard Weber from Świdnica who produced two groups of sculptures: the so-called divine orchestra embellishing set of organs and statutes of the patron saints of Świdnica which are located on consoles of partition naves. Apart from Baroque elements the church interior is embellished with relics of the former decor. The most precious Gothic monument is undoubtedly the Marian Altar located in the elevated chapel, referred to as the Choir of Townspeople. It originated at the end of 15th century specific features of which indicate that there are certain connections with the workshop of Wit Stwosz. The earlier is the wooden Pieta originated probably at the very beginning of the 15th century.

Further information is available on: www.katedra.swidnica.pl
Addres: John Paul II Square (Plac Jana Pawła II), tel. (074) 852-27-29
opening hours: everyday, after prior booking in the parish



When sightseeing Świdnica it is of prime significance to visit the Market Square alongside with renovated historical buildings and decorative illumination due to which Świdnica became The Best Illuminated Municipality of 2002 and in 2004 – won the prestige international illumination competition organized by Philips, not to mention the fact that in 2009 it won the first prize in all-Polish competition in terms of festive and occasional illumination. Both during the day and night what is worth sightseeing is undoubtedly old town in which there can be found numerous pearls of architecture.


Town HallAs early as in 1291 the first mention of the merchant house located in the centre of the Market Square appeared. In 1330 there could be found the wine cellar as well as brick stalls of drapers and shoemakers. Six years later the Town Council that holds sittings in the merchant house decides to change its seat and to move to the first floor, as a result of which it can be assumed that the building was at least two-storeyed.
Town hall as well as town hall tower were regarded as the symbols of town’s independence. Some researchers claim that the tower was erected as early as in 1377 on the occasion of repurchasing the village-mayor office by the town; nevertheless the latest researches referring to foundations of the tower allow to believe that the tower is approximately 100 years older than it was presumed up till now. Nevertheless, it is certain that during the great fire in 1393 the tower was nearly completely devastated. It was renovated as early as in 1450. In 1528 the subsequent fire destroyed the tower thoroughly. It was renovated slightly faster than previously, namely after 20 years and after further 7 years the church clock was installed. The tower survived the difficult period of the Thirty Years’ War. It was as early as in 1716 that the great fire ruined the tower again. The renovation was conducted at a record-breaking rate as the new tower (alongside with church bells and clock) was erected at the end of next year. Other devastations were caused by the Seven Years’ War. In 1757, when the Austrians bombarded the town, the well aimed shot destroyed the tower up to the height of the clock. The renovation conducted 7 years later was based on the tower of parish church. In such condition the tower survived 202 years. On the 5th January 1967 the demolition works close to the tower resulted in the violation of construction and at 3.16 pm the tower collapsed.
Since the very beginning the town hall building was subject to numerous reconstructions. Some of them arose from devastations as a result of fires and some of them arose from the necessity of adjusting the building to the function performed. The best example of the above-mentioned issues is the history of the councillors' chamber.
The councillors' chamber is the only room of the town hall which maintained elements of original decor, and specifically the Gothic hall with a plan similar to that of a square. It is covered with double-span cross and rib vault. Its interior was embellished with religious paintings, partially maintained. In 1663 the chamber in question was transformed into chapel; the Baroque oriel annexed to north wall of the town hall originated in this period. The entrance to the chamber is embellished with stone portal which is typical for the 15th century architecture. The fireplace adjacent to the entrance is framed with the renaissance portal with the date 1597 sculptured in lintel.
The entrance to the town hall is embellished with the portal that was made by Jan Krzysztof Hampel in 1720 of yellow sandstone, during the renovation of the town hall after the great fire that broke out in Świdnica in 1716. Richly sculptured entrance opening is framed with two columns with Corinthian heads which serve as the support for the first floor balcony. The stone balustrade of the balcony is embellished with cartouche with four-field crest of Świdnica. The wooden double door maintained the original carved decor. The transom window is separated with decorative iron grate. Nowadays there can be found unique and the only one in the entire world – the Museum of Old Commerce with inimitable collection of measures, scales and weights as well as elements of merchants’ stalls, not to mention the arrangement of a colonial shop from the turn of 19th and 20th century. The museum in question reflects the merchants’ traditions of the town.


The Holy Trinity ColumnThe Baroque Column of the Holy Trinity is made of red sandstone. The creator of this monument is unknown and it was founded in 1693 by the starost of Świdnica-Jawor Duchy Joachim von Sinzendorf. The founder, after his death in 1697, was buried in the St. Stanislaus and St. Venceslaus Parish church (the information can be found in the cartouche-placed inscription that can be found on the monument). Currently the column can be admired in its entire splendour due to conservatory intervention conducted recently.


Market SquareThe decorations of Świdnica's Market Square comprise the works of local artist Georg Leonhard Weber who was the best known at the turn of 17th and 18th century. These are the sculpture of St. Florian and St. John of Nepomuk which are located in the corners of the mid-market block as well as mythological characters of Atlas and Neptune which embellish two fountains.
The most impressive work of Weber is the Neptune Well that was made in 1732 and replaced the older one from  the  16th century. The six-sided stone fountain pool is decorated with sandstone plates embellished with the crest of Świdnica, crest of the starost Jan Schaffgotsch, double-headed emperor eagle, the emblem of the Czech kingdom – the lion and the emblem of the Świdnica-Jawor Duchy – the eagle. On the pedestal there are the following figures: Aquarius, two sea horses and Neptune who prevails over them and holds a trident in his hand.


Historical buildingsThe original buildings of the settlement before the location by virtue of the German law were typical for the village built-up area. There prevailed small, wooden houses of coronal and interlocking construction. Residential and farm buildings were arranged without restraint in the entire building acreage. It was as early as in the 16th century that the dynamic population growth caused that the built-up area started to be of more precise character.
The 14th century is a period in which the type of middle-class townhouse was formed. The buildings around the marketplace had arcades which were gradually eliminated up till the half of 18th century. Frequent destructions as a result of wars and fires caused that the repeatedly reconstructed houses preserved elements of numerous architectural styles.
The majority of houses that can be found in the downtown maintained original, Gothic elements (at least in the basement if not in the entire construction). The owners of the majority of houses were authorized to brew beer; therefore the most frequent Gothic elements that preserved are cellarage. Houses which are built of ashlar stone equipped with inclines which were used for rolling barrels served to store beers. Other elements of Gothic architecture are: gate and internal portals as well as several sculptures embellishing townhouses of the marketplace.
Renaissance architecture is represented in almost entire section, from transitional Gothic forms (portal of the townhouse of Rynek 6) to the most mature forms. The most mature form is the portal of the townhouse that was destroyed (7 Grodzka Street) and belonged to Mayor Erazm Freund. The stonework is performed skillfully, embellished with the portraits of the mayor and his wife as well as lions, not to mention shell and vegetal forms.
In the first half of the 17th century in Świdnica there could be found the Baroque architecture. What is the pearl is definitely the townhouse located in 24 Pułaskiego Street. Unusual arrangement of windows (in pairs) and perfect exploitation of decorative elements causes that the building is unique not only in Świdnica. The representative of enormous Baroque is the Abbot House of Krzeszów in 18 Franciszkańska Street (currently the seat of public library). The 19th century was not marked with any specific achievements as far as concerns architecture. Initially there appeared classical realizations, later eclectic ones. After the liquidation of fortress the secession townhouses were vigorously built here and there in entire quarters (Jagiellońska Street, Księcia Bolko Street). Vast majority of buildings was subject to reconstructions which deprived it of its artistic manifestation.
The old town complex in Świdnica remained undamaged in its fundamental shape since the Middle Ages. The fact that the hostilities of the 2nd World War omitted the town caused that the majority of monumental buildings avoided destruction. As a result the old town of Świdnica is regarded as the most precious urbanistic group in the Lower Silesia region comparable in terms of value to the old town of Cracow and Toruń.


FortificationsThe significant elements of medieval town were defensive walls. The fortification of Świdnica by the defensive wall was started probably in the second half of 13th century. The document of the Wrocław Duke Henryk Probus of 1285 prohibits Jews from Świdnica from engaging in anything else apart from construction and taking care of city walls. Fortification works lasted during the entire 14th and 15th century, in 1486 there started the construction of the third section of city walls armed with numerous towers.
Initially two gates led to the town: Strzegomska – north and Dolna – south. In later period the following gates led to the town: Kapturowa, Piotrowa, Witoszowska and Kraszowicka as well as supplementary passages – Mikołajska Gate and Kościelna Gate. Therefore, at the end of 15th century there were eight gates in Świdnica. Towers and bastilles were erected close to the gates in order to defend them in a more precise manner. The elements of the first fortifications of the town are: gate bastile and St. Barbara Chapel in Zamkowa Street, not to mention fragments of walls in Wrocławska Street and Niepodległości Avenue.
After conquering Silesia by Prussia in 1740 the authorities made a decision to convert the town into fortress. In the period of 1747 – 1754 broadly comprehended construction works were undertaken. The section of medieval walls was reconstructed; simultaneously building casemates protected with thick layer of soil and adjusting it to the requirements of those days referring to battle-field, among others gunnery. The majority of bastions were liquidated, only towers protecting the gates to the town remained. The weakest sections of internal zone were fortified with three bastions. Simultaneously there took place the construction works of the second line of fortifications in accordance with the latest patterns. The line in question consisted of four star-shaped forts and one tick-shaped connected with curtains, redoubts, redans and earth ramparts. The accessible roads to the town were divided with the so-called barriers. In the town there were built numerous additional buildings: barracks and storerooms.
After the completion of hostilities of the Seven Years’ War (1756 - 1763) the military authorities modernized and developed the fortification. The damaged fortifications were reconstructed; gate complexes were fortified and developed concurrently commencing the realization of the advanced section of fortifications which comprised four insulated forts and three hangarda. Numerous ground objects were prepared as well. All of the above-mentioned works did not significantly influence the improvement of defensive capability of the fortress. In 1807 Napoleon’s army did not have major difficulties in conquering the town. As a result of Napoleon’s order there took place the destruction of fortifications; nevertheless huge financial expenditures resulted in the works being stopped. In 1866 a decision to liquidate the fortress was made and a year later demolition works were carried out. Their intensity varied during several dozen of years and was not completed.
As far as concerns the Fridericians fortifications huge variety of elements were preserved. It was specifically underground objects that were not demolished – they were just buried. As far as concerns the objects that were preserved the most significant impression is made by fortress shelter – communication casemate of internal embankment alongside parish church. In excellent condition there was also preserved the section 260m long, not to mention the external casemate of Brama Witoszowska (Witoszowska Gate), caponiere at Żeromskiego Street as well as railway by the tower of Brama Kapturowa (Kapturowa Gate). Flesza Nowomłyńska by Śląska Street and Flesza Jawornicka by Sikorskiego Street are those remains that were preserved in the best condition as far as concerns the external section of fortifications. Outlines of forts, redoubts and curtains can be noticed particularly in the parks.
Kapturowa Gate and elements of municipal walls
In St. Margaret Square there can be found the uncovered piece of former municipal walls with one of the main entrance gates to medieval Świdnica. This is, apart from Flesza Nowomłyńska, the best preserved fragment of the 18th century fortress of Świdnica. Furthermore, one can have a rest in the secluded place of stone walls and have a look at old plans of fortress that can be found on the walls.



This place determined the town’s area. At the beginning of the 16th century Saint Barbara’s Church was built. There are two bas-reliefs of Saint Barbara and Saint Katarzyna of that period which can be found by the entrance; in the chancel there can be found renaissance wall paintings of floral coverage. In the 19th century the arsenal was arranged there. Nowadays, there can be found the seat of the General Technical Organization.


In the 13th century there stood a ducal castle, reconstructed several times the elements of which were partially preserved (portal of 1537 with renaissance ornamentation). Nowadays there is a seat of the Main Pentecostal Church.


St. Joseph's ChurchOne-naved church with rococo elevation and decoration. Above the portal there could be found the figures of the saints (Augustine, Joseph and Ursula) and in the middle – there can be found the lodge of monastic sisters from the 18th century.
The building of Ursuline church was started in 1754 in accordance with the project of Wacław Mattausch from Sobótka. Due to the paucity of this place the church was situated atypically – at the frontage, sheer to axis of the street. The facade of the church is three-axis, with pilasters and developed cornices. On the first floor level there are statues of St. Augustine, St. Joseph and St. Ursula. The economically applied ornamentation of doors and gratings represent the rococo forms.
The church interior, due to oval shape of the nave, seems to be fairly spacious in spite of small magnitude. The shallow and narrow chancel magnifies this impression. The nave is covered with flattened vault, expressly divided by the richly profiled cornices. The interior decor is, in spite of the splendour of rococo art, extremely modest. The particular attention should be focused on: pulpit, organ choir setting as well as wooden gratings closing the nuns’ lodges.


Photography GalleryAs of the 14th century in accordance with the mention of town’s register there stood the pharmacy. Inside, apart from interesting photographic exhibition, it is also possible to admire magnificent Baroque stucco work that can be found on the vault.
Address: Rynek 44,


House Under The BullsFrom 1882 on, there was a pharmacy in this townhouse. It is decorated in the neo-renaissance style and the particular attention should be focused on the natural-size figures of bulls placed at the level of the first floor in the corners of the townhouse.
Address: conjunction of Pułaskiego Street and Długa Street, by the Freedom Square (Plac Wolności).


Water TowerThat is the monument of technology located at 3 Nauczycielska Street and was built in 1877 as a result of depletion of old water tower located by Ludowy Square (Pl. Ludowy). In 1902 – 1903 it was re-built as a result of which an additional storey was built at the top of which the reservoir (of 500 cubic metres) was placed.

Informujemy, że nasza strona używa plików cookie w celach statystycznych i dla usprawnienia funkcjonowania strony [czytaj więcej...].
Można określić warunki przechowywania lub dostępu do plików cookies w Twojej przeglądarce.
Zapoznałem się z zasadami używania plików cookie na tej stronie - wciśnij przycisk [Tak]